Referring passengers is always a good idea. You earn a bonus each time a referral uses your code to take their first ride, and they'll likely return for more rides, increasing future demand. Top referrers go street teaming to spread the word about Lyft (and cash in on referral bonuses). Here's how they do it.
Step 1: Stock Up on Marketing Materials
Step 2: Pick a Location
Brainstorm places with lots of people in need of safe, reliable rides.
- Hand out cards at large events, like outdoor shopping areas, stadiums after sporting events, and public transportation stations.
- Make a friend on the staff of local bars and restaurants. If their patrons use your referral code, they'll get a free ride home — and spend money on food or drinks instead.
- Drive by popular clubs. Turn off driver mode for 10 minutes and hand out cards to the people waiting in line. They’ll need a ride home later that night.
Step 3: Be Confident
Remember, you're representing Lyft, and you'll be most people's first impression of our community. Smile and share why you're passionate. If one person says no, that's okay! Once you get your pitch down, the referrals will follow.
Step 4: Know Your Stuff
Practice your five-second pitch. Phrases like "your first ride is free," "rides in minutes," and "get a free ride home" are popular options. Then, get prepared to answer questions about Lyft. Here are some common asks (and their answers).
- "How much does it cost?" About 1/3 the price of a taxi.
- "How does it work?" Request a ride using the Lyft app on your phone. A background-checked driver will arrive in minutes. You can wait inside until they arrive.
- "Who are these drivers?" Us! Professionals, students, moms and dads, and anyone else who loves helping out the community.
- "Do I need a smartphone?" Yes, you'll need an Android or iPhone.
- "Is this code only for new users?" Yep. If you've used Lyft before, give it to a friend and bum a ride off of them.
Ready to get started? Grab a friend and some referral cards. It’s your turn to earn.